So often we hear from the caregivers of prospective residents that their loved one just isn’t ready to commit to moving into an assisted or independent living community. They don’t want to be the “bad guy” and push to make a decision. Their loved one is not convinced it is the right time and other family members may feel guilty even suggesting it. This always begs the question “What other decisions have you or your loved one had to make that you weren’t ready for?” That really gets them to think. Change can be hard – but it doesn’t have to be.
A 60-Day Trial Stay:
- Takes the stress out of making a permanent decision to move by offering a “test drive” of the lifestyle
- Provides the opportunity to experience life at the community while giving caregivers peace of mind, something they may not have had in a long time
- Takes the pressure off of the potential resident and their loved ones when making the big decision that something must change
- Provides resident the chance to stay in a fully-furnished apartment
- Resident gets to know the residents and staff
- Resident will learn their way around the community
- Opportunity to participate in activities and enjoy nutritious meals in the company of new friends.
Many people who take advantage of a 60-Day Stay find that they become stronger during this time. They are eating regularly, taking part in exercise classes or simply getting more physical activity by moving around the community, and taking their medications as prescribed and on time which helps them to feel better. The element of social engagement cannot be dismissed. All the research points to better health, less depression and improved outcomes when older adults enjoy meaningful relationships.
After the new “resident” lives at the community for 60-days, they become emotionally invested in their new life. The thought of going back to their home to live alone becomes less and less appealing. They come to appreciate having staff available around the clock for emergencies, the convenience of healthy and enjoyable meals and most importantly the camaraderie they feel living at a UMH community.
The majority of people who stay for 60 days at a UMH community opt to become residents. In hindsight they realize some of the real challenges of living on their own. Many also notice a change in the relationships they have with their caregivers and family members. They are no longer reliant on their loved ones for assistance with personal care, food shopping, meal preparation and companionship.
If you are interested in our 60 Day Trial Stay program click the photo in the above right and choose the community you wish to have a 60 day trial stay with. You will be prompted to fill out a form and someone will get back to you shortly. We look forward to seeing you at one of our UMH Communities soon!